ads

Slider[Style1]

Style2

Style3[OneLeft]

Style3[OneRight]

Style4

Style5

The self-styled Egberi Papa 1 of Bayelsa, Timaya, is a journalist’s delight any day. SAMUEL ABULUDE caught up with him at the HEADIES on Sunday and the talented singer opened up on his new look, controversy around him and other issues.Read interview below:



Why did you name your new album Epiphany?
Epiphany is a re-invention of me. I have been in the industry for some years now and I know what sells. It is a consolidation of my previous works and a re-direction of what Timaya is now up to.

Are you aware Epiphany is being used by another artiste, an American?
Yes; it was after I pushed my work out and named my album Epiphany that I found out that T-Pain also used it. It’s like ‘you come buy new car and you come see say other people get the kind car wey you buy’. It’s a coincidence. My own Epiphany redefines a new, bigger and better Timaya.

There is a notion that you are arrogant, are you?
That is old news. As you can see, I’m not. It’s just like you journalists coming to ask me about my relationship with Empress Njamah. That is crap. I expect more from you journalists.
It’s the season of politics, will you be singing the praises of any politician?
No! I no longer sing praises to men; I sing praises to God. If they want me to perform at an event, I’ll go and do my thing; not to go and sing the praises of a politician. Our politics leaves much to be desired and I’m not planning to vote. Maybe if things change, I’ll change my mind too.

Your song Sankho is currently trending, how did that happen?
Yea, I give thanks to God for the success. Sankho is a dance hall song and it shows that Timaya is still very much relevant and my spirit is hungry. I’m still an upcoming artiste. I’ve so much energy to give and fans should watch out for the rebranded Timaya.

Why did you change your hairstyle?
It was deliberate. The face of music is changing and you must change with the times or you’ll be left behind. I used to carry dreadlocks because I wanted to be known and different. So I made myself look crazy at a point in my life by wearing dreads. The controversial things I did then were deliberate, so the media would report them, because I was just an unknown artiste from Bayelsa. Now, with my new look, folks say I look different. Well, that is what is called rebranding.

Now that you seem to be financially stable, any nuptial plans?
I don’t know about that. You people want me to marry in 2015 and I’m not ready for that. So, no Timaya Junior yet. The reason why I post my daughter’s picture on Instagram is because I love her a lot. She means a lot to me. Marriage is not all about money. Do you think artistes have all the money in the world? It is a lie and we just put up a front. Marriage is not it for now. I mean, I’m still young and have a big career and tasks to do.

Your music has really evolved, how did you do it?
Yeah, it’s all about hardwork. No Nigerian musician has ever rebranded 100% and changed his music. I have done that. I realised that what brought us this far in the music industry are those classic songs that impacted the society and enhanced our cultural values, not the kind of noise that we hear today
Though, that is what the people want to hear; it is what puts food on our table and generates megabucks. The Shake Up your Bumbum remix with Sean Paul generated 13 million views and it was loved by everybody. That is the kind of song that people love; club songs with women. It’s no one’s fault. That is part of the pop culture that we find ourselves in. I did those kinds of songs, but I’m now tuned to doing better music..

So what should we expect from you in 2015?
I’m praying to God for a better life. I went to Shiloh to pray and dedicate my life and career to Him. Let the wind blow me in the right direction. I have committed my 2015 into God’s hands. I don’t want to struggle for things any more. When God blesses your work, a little labour brings much fruits. At this level of my stay in the industry, I don’t want to struggle for what is mine. I’ll do my stuff, perform my gigs and count the mega bucks. One time, I was urged to get more people to follow me on Twitter. Why should I pay to be verified? Whatever is mine will be mine. My true fans will support me and rally round my cause. I’m still Timaya, the Egberi Papa No.1 of Bayelsa.

About 247tops blog

Dope,Talented and Multi-Tasking Genius
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments:

Post a Comment


Top